Mirages

abstracts,animals,backgrounds,birds,circles,daydreaming,decorations,designs,dreaming,dreams,females,flying,graffiti style,grunge,individuality,people,women


Everything I read, everywhere I go, something reminds me of what God is telling me—I matter because I am His. Period. What other people think is irrelevant to my worth.

Lisa-Jo Baker writes about how cliques are a mirage. One definition of a mirage is "something that appears real or possible, but is not." I think it is an apt description.

Those who are in cliques seem to be the "it" crowd to those who are outside said cliques. Yet, the feelings of the ones who are on the "inside" are often not what we would think. They struggle with the same insecurities and feelings of not measuring up.

That is why it appears that "it" crowds are the place to be, but they are not.

They are a mirage.

The word "mirage" comes from the French word mirer, which means "to look at." When we look at anyone else for our self-worth, we are judging ourselves by a standard which is a mirage—something that appears real or possible, but is not.

It is ignorant and unwise. (See 2 Corinthians, chapter 10.)

I think a key to the whole  thing is in this verse:

"...am I now seeking the favor of men, or of God? Or am I striving to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a bond-servant of Christ," (Galatians 1:10 NASB).
What am I seeking? The world tries to grab my attention with magazine covers that show me the perfect body, or the perfect kitchen remodel.

I have to ask myself, "Whom do I want to please?"

So many things that seem important today are irrelevant tomorrow. What about five years from now? Will the things I seek matter then?

If not, then they are not eternal matters and I must guard myself against getting caught up in the fake goals that the enemy tosses in front of me.

What about you? Are you getting tripped up with goals that will not matter later? What is your focus? If it is not on Jesus, what are you going to do to change it?



Comments