Happy 2010

In the past decade, I had three children, started an online devotional, began homeschooling my children, moved twice (once from a house we built), started two writing courses, said goodbye to my dad, became friends with my mom, and on top of all that I've received a mandate from God-- to no longer allow people to define me.

Now, I did not hear an audible voice. But I know God wants this for me. The Bible says for me not to compare myself to others (I can't do that and be a servant of Christ at the same time. See Gal 1:10). The Message translation says it like this (Galatians 5:22-26):

"But what happens when we live God's way? He brings gifts into our lives, much the same way that fruit appears in an orchard—things like affection for others, exuberance about life, serenity. We develop a willingness to stick with things, a sense of compassion in the heart, and a conviction that a basic holiness permeates things and people. We find ourselves involved in loyal commitments, not needing to force our way in life, able to marshal and direct our energies wisely.

Legalism is helpless in bringing this about; it only gets in the way. Among those who belong to Christ, everything connected with getting our own way and mindlessly responding to what everyone else calls necessities is killed off for good—crucified.

Since this is the kind of life we have chosen, the life of the Spirit, let us make sure that we do not just hold it as an idea in our heads or a sentiment in our hearts, but work out its implications in every detail of our lives. That means we will not compare ourselves with each other as if one of us were better and another worse. We have far more interesting things to do with our lives. Each of us is an original."

I want to do what God wants, to be who He wants me to be. But I've spent 43 odd years working on trying to be who I think everyone wants me to be, so they will either make me happy or feel validated. Habits being what they are, I felt slightly overwhelmed at the task set before me.

And then I read my Bible this morning. My new reading plan had me read Luke chapter one, and verse 37 says this:

"For nothing will be impossible with God."

So, there you have it. This is my theme for the new year.

Happy New Year, everyone! May the God of the impossible move in a mighty way in your lives this year, and years to come.

Comments

  1. Wow, wow, wow! I feel so touched by your blog today. This is a great thing to aspire to. I hope you reach where you want to be (and please pull me along with you, I don't fight my habits well).

    We hope to spend alot of time with the Campbells in 2010!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you...