The Small Things

“Catch the foxes for us, the little foxes that are ruining the vineyards, while our vineyards are in blossom,” (Song of Solomon 2:15 NASB).

I’m out of dental floss. There are worse things in life, to be sure. But when I can’t floss, my focus gets drawn to that small bit between my teeth that feels like a two-by-four stuck there. If I let it, it will drive me bonkers.

Isn’t life like that? Something small happens, and instead of brushing it off and not letting it distract us from the bigger, more important things, we focus on that small annoyance. The other evening I took my son to his art lesson, and I had planned to spend the ninety minutes talking on the phone to an old friend. I specifically wrote down the phone number and put it inside my book in my purse. When I got to the lesson and everyone was settled, I looked for the paper and it wasn’t there. My plans were thwarted by something small, and it annoyed me. I tried to find a way that I could check my email so I could get the phone number again. I started to obsess. And I knew I was wrong.

I’m reading a Bible study book now called “Same Life, New Story,” by Jan Silvious. One of the things I’ve learned from this book is to ask myself questions. Jan encourages us to question our response to things, instead of just going with the flow of our emotions. That’s how she helps you to be in the same life, but write a new story. So, I asked myself why not having that phone number bothered me so much. I didn’t like the answer. I wanted to hear the scoop on why my friend was separated. Not good. My heart was kindled by gossip. Even though I care about my friend and I’m curious, I’d crossed the line with my emotions.

I’ve done this a few times now, questioned my feelings and responses to things that have happened to me. I can’t say that I’m well on my way to a new story, but my eyes are being opened to something. My negative responses come from selfishness. The little things that bug me have upset my plans and now I can’t do what I planned to do. Sound familiar?

Just like dental floss flicks out that stray piece of spinach that annoys your mouth, prayer helps us to see clearly that the little things are always going to be there (Luke 17:1) and we’ll be much happier if we stop letting them run our lives.

Comments

  1. God always knows exactly what I need to read, and recently, He's been making you write it. Thank you, again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post..seems so simple doesnt it..ask questions to ourselves...
    good reminder..when i have done that in the past..i don't usually like the answers either..
    so sometimes i just quit asking...haha..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you...