Some Cheese With Your Whine?

I was looking forward to today because I met my dear friend at Cracker Barrel for breakfast, and it was the first time I had official "me" time in a while. (No, going to the grocery store alone doesn't count, not that I've done that much.)

My normally bubbly, super-glad-to-be-with-me friend seemed out of sorts, so that put a bit of a damper on the morning. Then, I went to Walmart to get groceries and was there for what seemed like forever, longing to get back home so I could sit down. When I got home, all of my family was complaining about how long I was gone--like buying groceries is pure fun and I couldn't tear my happy self away!

Anyway, then we go see the Spy Kids 4 movie, which was full of gross humor but thankfully had a redeeming message at the end, and I come back home to fix dinner and have to stop the kids from letting the puppy chase them and bite their pants.

Did I mention that we have a new puppy and I don't get to sleep through the night? Nor do I have "alone" time in the mornings now? I didn't want this puppy, but I'm the one doing the work! I'm thinking how much I hate this change (not that I ever lovingly embrace any change in my life), when Oswald Chambers rebukes me with this comment from today's devotional:

"Lord, prove Thy consciousness in me, and self-consciousness will go and He will be all in all. Beware of allowing self-consciousness to continue because by slow degrees it will awaken self-pity, and self-pity is Satanic."

So, I guess if Corrie ten Boom can be thankful for fleas in the midst of a concentration camp, I can choose to thank God for a puppy, and for disappointing days, knowing that He is doing something in me..like major surgery to cut out the incredible amounts of selfishness that I'm obviously infested with.

To end on a happy note, here's a picture of the beautiful flowers that Glen planted on the side of our house. They look like a sunflower variant--anyone know what they are?



Comments