The Day After

Depending on the previous day's event--what it was, what expectations were held for it, etc.--the "day after" can be a mixed-bag of emotions. For some (most?), Christmas is a happy time, albeit stressful; but others find it emotionally taxing, if not downright depressing. I'm not one of the latter, but I do tie my happiness up in expectations far too much, so the potential for me to be disappointed is greater than it should be.

Today would have been my mom and dad's 47th (I think) wedding anniversary. For my mom, it is a hard time of the year, since today was usually filled (prior to Dad being too sick) with after-Christmas shopping and lunch out at a restaurant. Instead, she's at home debating on whether to let herself in at the donation center she works at, in order to keep herself busy.

We are going out to see her in a little while, since our weekend didn't work out for us to go then. Isn't it funny how things can turn out so differently from what you envision? One moment, you are planning the future, the next moment the future is profoundly different and you aren't sure what to do with your plans. Thank God for His tender care during times like these.

My sister, Lori, brought Christmas presents to our home on Christmas eve. Here is a picture of mine:


This is my dad, a handsome twenty-one year old new enlistee in the U.S. Navy. This gift is especially touching, since I've missed my dad horribly recently. Or rather, I've missed what I could have had but threw away because I spent too much time being angry at him for things that I should have just forgiven him for.

That's how "the day after" plays out, though. Like the Cat's in the Cradle song, you waste time on things that don't matter, and then later try to get the time back when it's too late. Thankfully, God is in the restoration business.

Is there anything you are resisting? Something that you need to do, or someone you need to call or forgive? Please don't waste time. The day after, when it's too late, will bring pain and sorrow that Jesus can heal, but it still has the power to haunt you. Don't wait until it's too late to do the right thing. Do it now. Be vulnerable; reach out; listen carefully, and do what you know you are supposed to do.

Godspeed to you. May you have a great, fresh-start new year.

Comments