Thoughts on a Daniel Fast

My church is holding a Daniel Fast again. If you read the first chapter of Daniel, you will see that this "event" is taken from the verses where, depending on the Bible version you use, Daniel purposed in his heart or made up his mind that he would not eat the King's food. He asked to be given only vegetables and water, so he wouldn't be drawn in to sinful behavior by indulging in rich foods and wine.

God gave the Israelites the Law to show them their need for a Savior. They simply couldn't do every thing perfectly--purely--and so damnation was the result. What joy the followers of Jesus must have felt when He rose from the dead, and they realized the truth that they were set free from the Law! Jesus came not to do away with the Law and its perfection, but to fulfill the requirement of the law. He was the ultimate blood sacrifice--it was finished with Him, and we are no longer bound to that Law. What joy! What freedom!

Fasting (or the suggestion that I do so), and the response of my flesh to it, gives me what I imagine must be a small taste of the difficulty people felt in trying to keep the Law.

"I find then the principle that evil is present in me, the one who wants to do good. For I joyfully concur with the law of God in the inner man, but I see a different law in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin which is in my members. Wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from the body of this death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!" (Romans 7:21-25).
Even though I struggle with this discipline, I know that my acceptance isn't measured by my success. How thankful I am for my salvation in Jesus!

Comments