You Wouldn't Understand

My sweet little Sara has been saying to me lately, "You wouldn't understand." This has happened a few times, last night being one of them. I asked her what she means. I told her I'm her mom, and I love her, and I want to understand.

She said, "It's just that, you know, you're not a kid, so you just can't understand what I'm going through."

I thought, If she only knew.

Then, it hit me--how many times do I do this to God? When I'm hurt, or something doesn't go right, or I feel lonely or rejected, my first instinct is to want a person to talk to. (Forgive me, I'm taking off my mask here.) I want to talk to someone who understands, someone who can hug me and say they know how I feel, someone who will sympathize with me.

But, the Bible tells me Jesus is the best One for me to go to because we don't have "a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin. Therefore let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need," (Hebrews 4:15-16 NASB).

It hurt when Sara felt she couldn't share her feelings with me because she thought I wouldn't understand. The Bible talks about how a parent-child relationship mirrors the relationship we have with God. And I don't want to hurt the heart of God. Instead of going to others first, I will practice taking everything to Him, because He promises to give me all that I need.

Comments