Thinking Before Speaking

"When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise," (Proverbs 10:19 NIV).

I shared with a friend about some things someone near to me has gone (and is going) through, and in the midst of my talking she said, "Do you ever think, 'Except for the grace of God?...,' to which I quickly (and defensively) replied, "Oh, I know where I came from."

My first reaction was a shot of anger, and I was tempted to feel rejected by her comment (and to think that she just didn't want to hear what I was saying). But, the more I've thought about it, the more I believe that God used her to get my attention.

I realize that there is a time and place for everything, and talking has its place. I also know that I tend to talk because I want to "rescue" a conversation from uncomfortable lulls. But this has more to do with my insecurities than anything else, and there is value in being quiet.

When I spend time praying in the morning, I find myself talking to God non-stop, because the moment I stop to "listen" to God, my mind goes wild with all the things I failed to do, the things I need to do, or mini-movies play out the mistakes I've made and what I'd do differently now, if I could have a do-over.

At the risk of being too verbose in this post, I will sum up my thoughts with this: God is calling me to listen more and talk less; to think carefully before I speak. Do I really need to say that? Will anyone be edified if I share? What is my motivation?

Comments