Book Review: Named by God, by Kasey Van Norman

I have a colorful past that is now covered in red, thanks to the grace and mercy and redemptive power of Jesus. Even so, there are many times when I feel worthless and useless, like I only mess up the lives of those I'm in relationship with rather than enhance them.

It is because of my struggles over past mistakes and poor (okay, bad) choices, that I love this book. Kasey Van Norman has experienced many things similar to my past, and yet she's a born-again, Spirit-filled, dynamic Bible teacher who clearly loves Jesus and walks in truth today.

Here are some quotes that I found meaningful:

"My greatest internal struggle over the years has not been to love the Lord but to believe that he loves me back!"

"...as long as I continued to view my life from a reactive point of view--'They did this to me, and as a result, I did that'--I was still making the story about me...and completely missing God!"

"No other person in this world can tell you that a particular circumstance in your life was not, or should not have been, a tragedy. If it was suffering to you, then it was suffering."

"...it is better to know God than to know the answers!"

"If you find yourself tempted to categorize a particular sin in your life or in the lives of others, or it you find it difficult to believe that God has called you to forgive, allow Matthew 6:14-15 to hit your face like a bucket of cold water"

"Galatians 5:22-23 tells us that the Holy Spirit is the one who equips us with everything we need for total transformation...we have no excuse not to change!"

There are many more things that stood out to me. This one was so freeing--

"One of the most common ways [Satan] tries to deceive us is by denying or distorting God's Word."

Several years ago I sought the counsel of a respected person in my church for a difficult time I was going through. When I told this person that the devil tormented me with scriptures by bringing condemnation through the Word, the person said that I must not know the Word, or God, very well because the devil shouldn't be able to do that. I received that response as a rebuke and I felt like I couldn't hear or understand God or His Word. How freeing it was to read what Kasey said--not because it was so enlightened, but it affirmed that I wasn't alone in feeling that way.

Having said all this, I encourage anyone who would like some raw honesty coupled with Bible-based encouragement to read this book.

Get a copy here.

Thanks to Tyndale Publishers for a free copy of this book. My review is my own opinion, and I was not required to say something positive.

Comments