Voice Recognition

A funny thing happened to us when Kyla was just a newborn.

We were, of course, exhausted from sleep deprivation. Glen was home and he lay down with Kyla, both napping. I was working upstairs on our family website when the phone rang.

I snatched it up quickly, so it wouldn't wake my sleeping beauties. (No one ever called or rang the doorbell, unless Kyla was taking a rare nap.)

I hissed, "Hello?" into the receiver.

"May I speak to Glen?" a woman replied.

"May I tell him who's calling?

"Yes," she said, "his mother."

She had the wrong number, and we hung up when I told her so. Unfortunately, we were not done. The phone immediately rang again. I jerked it up, still wanting to save the quiet in the house.

"Hello?" (We didn't have caller ID at this point...)

Same woman's voice said, "Hello, may I speak to Glen?"

"I'm sorry, like I just told you, you have the wrong number."

"I want to talk to my son! You better let me speak to him!"

Admittedly, I was frustrated. I told her, as calmly as I could at that point, "Ma'am, I know my mother-in-law's voice, and you are not her! You have the wrong number! We have a newborn, and she is asleep. Please do not call back!"

We hang up.

The phone rings a third time.

Resisting the urge to tear it from the wall, I answer with an abrupt Hello, and get a man's voice in reply.

"Yes, may I speak with Glen?"

(I can laugh now, but I assure you it was not funny then.)

"Sir, I assume that I just spoke with your wife, and like I told her, you have the wrong phone number. You are not my father-in-law, I know his voice!"

By this time a little wisdom kicked in, and I unplugged the phone.


This story reminds me of how important it is to have a close relationship with Jesus, so we will know His voice when He calls us home one day.

"My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me; and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand." (John 10:27 NASB).

Comments