Knowledge vs. Wisdom



academic,animals,birds,books,knowledge,owls,readings,symbols,wisdom




I do not have a college degree.

I almost had one. I was just a year or so out from my Bachelor of Science in Computer Science. I figured, if I'm going back to school and going in debt with student loans, I may as well study something that will make me some money when I'm out. And I already had a job with a NASA contractor as an Engineering Assistant, so it was a sorta guaranteed thing.

And then I got married. I was 33 when I got pregnant and had Kyla, in June 2000, about six weeks after taking final exams for that semester at WVU. I never went back.

This fact usually lies dormant in my mind, only coming to the forefront when someone I'm around says or does something that causes me to feel less-than because I don't have an official degree in something. Our homeschool co-op's assessment testing is going on this week, and I don't get to administer tests to any students since I don't have a degree. Again, tempting to feel like I'm less-than.

Then I read about Peter. Peter was a rough fisherman. But, even though he was a man, I can identify with his persona some. I, too, tend to get over zealous about spiritual matters, sometimes making a fool of myself because I vow something and I don't follow through. And I'm uneducated (at least from the world's POV), like Peter was.

But in Acts 4:1-12, Peter and John were teaching the people and proclaiming the resurrection of Jesus, and about 5000 men believed! Peter boldly preached the name of Jesus, telling everyone "there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved" (verse 12).  How is that possible? He wasn't educated. He didn't have any public speaking classes. He didn't have a "coach." No skills. At least not by our standards.

Verse 13 is the key:

"Now as they observed the confidence of Peter and John and understood that they were uneducated and untrained men, they were amazed, and began to recognize them as having been with Jesus."
All the high-priestly ones were there, along with the rulers and scribes, and they realized that even though Peter and John were uneducated and untrained, they had been with Jesus!

Being with Jesus!

That's the difference between knowledge and wisdom.

"How much better it is to get wisdom than gold! And to get understanding is to be chosen above silver," (Proverbs 16:16 NASB).

"But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him," (James 1:5 NASB).


Linking up with others at:

Comments

  1. What a good word, Selena! I often feel the same as you...I attempted college twice, both times I dropped before finishing a year. The first time I was a new mom (Troy) and working full time and...there were circumstances that made me stay home. The second time I was new mom to Danielle and Troy was 4, but I was working again a lot and a single momma. A lot of times I too feel inadequate because I don't have that paper that says I finished college and have a degree. But, you are right...there is a difference between knowledge and wisdom, and I'm glad you reminded me of it (as God reminded you!) Thank you for sharing your heart!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes the pursuit of education that can often bring pride moreso than wisdom...wisdom that comes from the Lord and the life experiences he brings us. Great reminder that wisdom is not something learned in classroom but comes from learning and growing in the Lord.
    keep up the God work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you...