Let God Be God

I love it when God shows up in the midst of a situation, even if it isn't necessarily the way we expect. I'm talking about the times when someone else may think something is a coincidence, but you know that God made Himself real to you.

For example, my friend Tara has gone through major physical trials with cancer and treatments. Through it all, she has felt God's reassurance to her that He will not forsake her, and she shared this with another friend.

When pondering this, the friend googled the word "forsake" just to see what God was promising He would not do.  When you type "define forsake" it brings up the definition, and the example sentence says:
"He would never forsake Tara." You can see it for yourself, by clicking here, or by typing "define forsake" into a Google search engine.  Of all the names, of all the example sentences, it said that? Amazing.

I had one of these God moments myself this week.

My mother fell almost three weeks ago and got a bilateral sacral fracture. She has had a rough time with therapy and has been discouraged. I've been stressing out because of trying to care for my family, homeschool my kids, keep my house, tend to her bills and other needs and visit her in the hospital, all while fretting about what the outcome would be of Mom's injury. Then the kids and I shared the flu this week.

So, I laughed out loud when I read this scripture in my devotional:

Cease striving [let go, relax] and know that I am God; (Psalm 46:10a, NASB). 
 
My husband has a job with a major retail pharmacy. In the 16 years that I've known him, he has missed one day of work—and that was to have a stress test. He cannot spontaneously ask for a day off. Last year, he scheduled this Friday off because he thought this weekend was the state wrestling championship. It is next weekend, but he couldn't change this scheduled vacation day because it was already established in the schedule. He was frustrated at having to "burn" a vacation day.

But, I need him to go with me to a family conference at the hospital to discuss what Mom's future care will be, and he would never have been able to just take the day off. There was no way for any of us to know he would need this day. But God knew. Amazing.

Are you struggling with something today? Do you feel like God is far away and doesn't care? God specializes in the impossible situations and He always exceeds our expectations. Like the scripture says above, our job is to cease striving to control things and let Him be God.

Linking with others for:


Thrive @ Home Thursday

Comments

  1. I love it when God shows up in our everyday moments and we just know it is not a coincidence, but Him!!! So glad He orchestrated Glen's time off so you could have him there with you tomorrow, and glad that in your devotional time today He spoke right to you about what you needed to do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Maria. It certainly was timely--I needed some encouragement. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you...