Truly Natural Gas

I was very tired the other night and I was very much looking forward to a good night's sleep.

I guess that was my first mistake.

At 2:00 a.m., I was awakened from deep sleep by the sound of a chair scooting on the floor in the kitchen. I was very confused, as one usually is when awakened from a deep sleep, so I got up and went to the top of the stairs.

I could hear the sounds of the night, and I knew a door was open downstairs. And I was telling myself that maybe someone was breaking into our house (because I usually hear someone going down the steps since they creak and groan), but I wasn't scared. Maybe I was still not fully awake.

Then I saw the outside lights were on, and in the stupidness-of-not-awakeness, I thought, "They turned on our lights when they broke in, why would they do that?" Next, I looked out the window and saw our dog galloping around outside.

I went downstairs, and Kyla was sitting at the table. Kyla doesn't like eggs, but I thought she had put something in the microwave, and I thought it was eggs. Stinky eggs. (Did I mention this was 2:00 a.m.?)

"Are you eating eggs?"

She cocked her head sideways at me like a dog does when you say something like "walk," probably because she knows that I know she loathes eggs.

I walked over to the stovetop to be sure no burners were turned on. Then I went downstairs, and the stinky egg smell was worse, mixed with fumes.  

Natural gas leak?

I walked around and there were pockets of the smell that were stronger. I kept wondering if we were all going to be blown sky high at any minute.

Pondering what we would do with the dog if we all went to a hotel for the night, I finally woke up my husband (who was thankful he was on vacation and didn't have to go to work the next day). I told him I thought we had a natural gas leak.

Well, an hour later, after opening windows and blowing fans, we discovered that it was a natural gas leak, just apparently not the dangerous kind.

Or at least not the house-blowing-up kind of dangerous.






Does she look guilty?

After we got back in bed, I most certainly did take the opportunity to remind my husband whose idea it was to get a dog.

Hopefully, you have rested more soundly this week than I.



Comments