Five Minute Friday :: Keep

This is a Five Minute Friday post, and that means I will set my timer for 5 minutes and I will write something on the prompt, and I will not critique my work.

Sound hard? For some of us (ahem) perfectionists, maybe. But it is also glorious in that you can write and not worry about it being write right. Just let the creative juices flow.

Sometimes this takes practice, and since there's one Friday in every week, if you join us you'll do that at least four times a month!

Click here to learn more.

This week's prompt is: 



GO

". . . keep back Your servant from presumptuous sins; Let them not rule over me...," (Psalm 19:13 NASB).

I chose perspective as my one word for this year, and God has been opening my eyes to many things in the past month. Such as the way I read my Bible.

This scripture has always caught my eye, and I first remember reading it as willful sins in the NIV. The NASB calls them presumptuous, which means: too confident especially in a way that is rude, done or made without permission, right, or good reason overstepping due bounds, taking liberties (according to Merriam Webster online).

But the word I'm writing about is keep, which in this case means restrain or hold back. And that is why I put this scripture up. My perspective on this verse has always been focused on the type of sin that would, as it is worded, want to rule over me.  

But this time I noticed the word keep in the verse—which is a plea to God for help to keep me back from such presumptuous sins.

And this is how God is altering my perspective. I tend to focus on the negative and what I can do to change or fix it. God wants me to look to Him, to worship and rest in Him, and let my communion with Him be the agent for change in my life, not my own effort. He wants me to let Him keep me.

STOP

Linking up with others at:

Comments

  1. Thoughtful post on keep. I hope you are able to work towards "letting God keep you."

    This week was my first Five Minute Friday post and I confessed to spending a bit more than five minutes. It was hard to let go. Next week I hope to do better in that regard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brenda,

      Thanks for your comment. So glad you stopped by! And please, no guilt about FMF...there are many who go over 5 minutes at times. This is supposed to be fun and enjoyable, so don't over think it, okay? :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you...