Heart-full Thinking

How do you talk to yourself?

You know, that recording that plays over and over in your head, the one that shapes your feelings and actions? The one that causes you to look at others and compare yourself to them to see whether you do or don't measure up?




Your perspective on many things is directly affected by your self-talk.  And your mind is a battlefield.

Do you self-encourage? Build yourself up?

Or do you self-abuse? Pick yourself apart at the seams?

Because the Bible tells us that:

"The good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth what is good; and the evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth what is evil; for his mouth speaks from that which fills his heart," (Luke 6:45 NASB, emphasis mine).

We play stupid and act like our thoughts are simply the result of the painful experiences, the rejection, the abandonment we've suffered. We say we can't control them, that we are merely victims of our past.

But the negative, abusive self-talk that rants in our heads is the result of unconfessed sin—either of pride or unforgiveness.  And we have no excuse for holding on to either.

If you are a believer, and you know the Word of God, you know that you are not the same person you were before you confessed Jesus as your Savior. ALL things are made new. Your worth comes from Him, and not from anything you can do.The same power that raised Christ from the dead lives in you, and this power can deliver you from the pain and enable you to forgive even the worst offenses!

Christ has redeemed us, rescued us from death, and we cannot have intimacy or fellowship with Him—nor enter into Heaven—if we hold unforgiveness toward anyone. Regardless of the abuse. (Please do not read something that I am not saying. I am in no way suggesting that someone stay in an abusive or dangerous situation. But removing yourself from that will not bring freedom. You will mentally drag the offenses with you. I know this from personal experience. Only extending forgiveness through Christ will free you.)

Recognizing this as sin has been hard. But I am confessing my sin. I am forgiving those who have hurt me. I am making a conscious effort to talk in an affirming, Christ-centered way to myself. And I have already seen the fruit of my obedience in my relationships with my husband and children.

So, how about you? How do you talk to yourself?



 Linking up with others:
http://www.servingjoyfully.com/2015/05/27/thriving-thursday-528/


http://ichoosejoy.org/2015/05/27/from-house-to-home-link-party-120/

 

A Wise Woman Builds Her Home

Comments

  1. I try to remind myself I'd never allow someone else to talk to me the way I talk to myself. My self-talk is slowly improving, but it takes reminding myself faithfully that it's not about me and turning my thoughts God-ward. Definitely a process. One I'm sure I'll never perfect this side of heaven, but by grace and with His help I'll keep working on. It's so nice to meet you Selena. Many blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder why, Selena we can be good to everyone but ourselves. I'm so guilty of this. I'm going to make an effort to change my self talk and uplift myself. Thanks for sharing !!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you...