On Being Thankful

This year, DH had Saturday through Thanksgiving Day off from work (yay!), and we had a great time. Glen and I squeezed in a dinner and movie date, then we all went to the Tanger Outlets in PA and got some great pre-maddess (aka Black Friday) deals. Our dinner was at home, just the five of us relaxing together.

Hear is a pictorial review of our last few months....


Daisy had ANOTHER surgery...this was to fix her right cruciate tear (her left one tore last fall). We prayed for her and we are so thankful that God cares about everything, even our pets. Last time she had the surgery she bawled for 7 hrs (no joke), because her pain tolerance is nil. This time she hardly whined at all. It obviously hurt, but she didn't have the distress that she did last time. She'll hopefully be back to a regular walk schedule with us this coming Monday!



The time change has made it easier for us to get up earlier, so we've witnessed some beautiful sunrises! 






Our big guy played football this year for the first time since flag (when he was 6 yrs old, I think). He's a big 12 yr old now (#40). The FOP Colts went to the local Championship game undefeated.



The Championship game was played in Buckhannon against Bridgeport. They were a little certain of victory, but...


FOP beat them (20-16) for the first time in around 10 yrs! Disappointing that the Times West Virginian didn't say more about the midgets victory...but they were completely undefeated for the whole season!


Below is the team with their trophy (our guy is the one standing on the left wearing a plain blue shirt). I was reluctant about Iain playing football (and he did have a tackle that took a small chip out of his left kneecap), but the camaraderie that he developed with his teammates was great for him. I am thankful for that, and for his injury not being worse.



Deer are thick in our area, and we've fought them over our garden for years now. Even so, we've been blessed to drive back and forth to work and miss them...until a few weeks ago.


Glen was coming home from work around 9:15 pm, the night of a windy storm. A big buck leaped out in front of him and he hardly had time to hit his brakes. It did almost $6,000 worth of damage, but the airbag didn't go off. That's a blessing because he was by the river, and only God knows what might have happened if it went off. I am thankful that no other cars were around, that he wasn't hurt, and also very thankful that we have insurance that covers the repairs!



I believe that all things work together for good, and that includes the things that are painful or difficult. I read recently, in Ann Voskamp's 1000 Gifts Devotional,

"It's only in the uncomfortable places that we can experience the tenderness of the Comforter," (p.188).
It never really occurred to me to think about the title that the Holy Spirit is given--The Comforter, our Comforter--and that we need comfort when we are uncomfortable. And that gives me a whole new perspective on being uncomfortable, knowing it is a place where God's comfort is near.


So, we were uncomfortable about our Element being crunched and how it won't ever really be the same, even after it is fixed. (Yes, we were whining...). But on the day when we picked up the (very small) rental car that made Glen look like Mr. Incredible and he went on to work, I drove through Wilson Ford's parking lot to get back on Rt 250 and this beauty was sitting on the corner of the used car lot:


(And, yes, it is now sitting in our driveway. :) )


When the Jeep Commanders first came out, I fell in love with them. I like that boxy look, and anyone who knows me will know that my favorite color is red. And, I hate tan interior (this one is a grayish taupe). This is a 2009 model with average mileage, and it has a bunch of bells and whistles, such as the remote starter that the dealer rep showed me how to use when I took it home (I was cracking up, since I didn't even know it had that!). To make this even sweeter, we got it for $3,000 less than the current book value!


Speaking of sweet, Sara and I tried a couple of new recipes. (She has been my baking buddy since she was big enough to sit on the counter. :)

Apple roses

 


And crescent roll cheese danishes 



 I also made some Focaccia, which was a Family Fun recipe from several years ago that I'd never made. It was quite yummy.



 
Today I am finishing my Christmas decorating (better known as kicking a path through the house to make room for our tree, haha). This is my new holiday bedding. It's red--shocking! :)




I pray that you and those that you love have a wonderful holiday season, no matter what you are going through.

It is much easier to grumble and complain, and to see what is wrong (especially with all the terror in the world today). It takes effort to look for the positive side of everything, but it is one thing that is well worth the effort.

"God is our refuge and strength, 
A very present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth should change
And though the mountains slip into the heart of the sea;
Though its waters roar and foam,
Though the mountains quake at its swelling pride.
Selah," (Psalm 46:1-3, NASB).

If you are hurting, may this hymn help you to find peace. Click here to listen.


Comments