Library Before and After (with pictures, yay!)

Several months ago, I posted about our homeschool "library" being gutted to make way for a redo.

The contents of the library were everywhere, and it took much longer than I anticipated for it to be finished again, so I eventually put everything in our basement (where I didn't have to look at it!), which practically killed me going up and down the steps. But I digress...

Anyway, my wonderful, talented husband built some book cases on top of cabinets we ordered, and I got the fabulous job of painting them to match, and after lots of hard teamwork - voilá!


BEFORE
(I know...scary)



AFTER
(Ahh...)





Ta-da!

So, you may ask, where is all your stuff? Well, that was hard. Lots of purging (and crying over the handwriting of littles and where did time go? and schoolbooks we never ended up using (but I kept keeping, just in case...)), and lots of giving away to friends, and the rest of the stuff that doesn't look pretty on a shelf is in the basement.

That's actually a bonus area, and I'll update this later and put a picture of it. We were blessed with broken cabinets...well, kinda broken. The plywood was coming apart, but my handy husband took care of that. Still, we got four new cabinets which brought the total to eight for the price of four--cue the applause! This is truly an example of something bad (broken cabinets, delays) turning into something good (unexpected extras!).  So my husband put other cabinets in the basement and installed shelves above with black curly brackets, and we've got a cool downstairs place for overflow.

It's so nice to actually have a "room" now, instead of just a dumping ground. It's so pleasant, especially when it's rainy because I can hear it on the roof, or I can open the window and listen to it while I chill in my chair with a cup of tea.

And yes, I do take time to chill, even though I'm a homeschool mom. Mostly, I collapse. Certainly I do that, if I do not take time to chill.

Hope you enjoyed the pictures. The shelf paint is custom-colored to the cabinet finish by Sherman Williams. The walls are Dove White by Sherman Williams. And I just realized I didn't get a picture of my pretty new hardwood floors, so I'll add that later, too.

But it's past my bedtime, so good night!

Comments

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you...