That's You

Yesterday, I watched a BBC series from Amazon Prime streaming with my daughter (who is sick), and I felt horribly convicted.

Those who know Jane Austen's Emma will know who Mrs. Elton is—the self-important, arrogantly assertive, know-it-all wife who annoys everyone she's around.

And, as I watched, I heard a still voice say, "That's you."

(cue crickets chirping...)

...sigh...

Yes, I admit, it is true. I will speak my mind, with the object of setting someone right or giving an example that refutes something they are saying, often couched in kindness but usually with a selfish motive.

I like being right.

My husband told me that is a big problem for me, always wanting  to be right. I argued with him that he is wrong. He said, "Case in point."

(annoyed look here)

Furthermore, the Lord has shown me that wanting to be right is a great source of anxiety for me; it means I want to have control. When I cannot have control, I tend to assert myself even more.

But that is only because I want to know what is going to happen and how it will affect me and if I can do anything to mitigate damages. Right?

Usually, however, this results in my feeling burdened with guilt, lonely, and frustrated (and did I say anxious and weary?).

This is not easy to admit, although people who know me well may read this and think, "Hallelujah! She's seen the light!

Anyway, seeing this is a good thing. Especially since Jesus said,

"Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For My yoke is easy and My burden is light,” (Matthew 11:28:31 NASB ).

If "that's you," too, click here for a great article about leaving the control of things in God's hands.




Comments